Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Please Give Me....






















Today is Tuesday, August 4th at 1:33 in Rwanda. By my count, Claire is out of bed, but Grace and mommy are still trying to catch a few more minutes of sleep.

We were up and on the road by 7:30 this morning, hopeful that we would get early word on the containers. Right before lunch, we found out that the third container has finally crossed the border, and is on its way to Meswerga (which is the neighborhood in Kigali where customs is). We have been told it will take about three hours to get from the border to customs, and if they arrive before 3:00 today, they will clear it and send it on to the site. We are all optimistic that we will have materials on site today, allowing us to start unloading first thing in the morning (it gets very dark here around 6:00). If we can unload in the morning, we will probably have three crews - 1 to unload, 1 to start building trusses and 1 to start building walls.

We have about 50 Rwandans on "stand by" to help us unload, so we believe we can get a lot accomplished tomorrow.

As for today, I have already put the shorts back on, and preparing to play more soccer with the kids. Grace and Claire - the Rwandan kids like me flipping them up on my feet and bouncing them like a horse just like you do! Only thing, there are like 300 of them and only 2 of you.

I did cartwheels for the kids this morning. The all did them as well, but then challenged me to do splits and backwards crab walks. I declined.

Apparently, there aren't many folks over here with grey hair that is very straight. I had four little girls rubbing my head and giggling. One of them said, "this is my head".

After we got organized this morning, several of us went into Kigali to go shopping. Michelle, as you know, my job was to attract all the folks asking me to "please give me", while the rest of the gang shopped in peace. I have that look about me, I guess. The hardest was a mom with a little baby. She was asking for money to buy food. There are lots of kids over here that need a home....perhaps a home in the States?

I have tried to sign on to check my office e-mail, but was unsuccessful. Obviously, I don't remember the sign on. I guess that is just as well. I would like to know if they got the foundations poured, or has the rain continued to cause delays.

I have some photos and will try to post them.

I am looking forward to construction, but am greatful that I am here anyway. I miss you all, and am prepared to eat a big burger on my way home!

3 comments:

  1. Would you please send me your flight plans? I really want to be at the airport to see you arrive with the newest member of the family! Bring it on! I'm so glad the containers are making progress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 10:00 on Monday evening. Tell Michelle, perhaps the pool house could double as our master bedroom. I am sure Grace wouldn't mind moving to our room.

    I think pictures are in order. While I know God doesn't need them to make a point, but that way I could recruit some earthly helpers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Mitch: We're keeping up with your blogs and keeping you (and your group) in our prayers. Saying an extra prayer that your containers finally get delivered (oh, and an extra prayer for your hamstrings!) Kelly is finished with her Snowbird Camp experience and said she'd really like to go with you on one of your African trips. Maybe you and Grace and she could arrange that sometime. We love you and are so very proud of what you're doing. Also want you to know that we're color blind and if we end up being grandparents of a little Rawandan child, that would be fine with us!!!!
    Play hard, work well and give God all the credit. Hugs, Kisses and prayers...Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete